Sunday, July 09, 2006

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

My computer equipment is three years old and is starting to give me trouble. I decided to buy a new computer network and replace my existing home office network. I walked into a computer store and let the salespeople try to work their magic. After walking into the store I began to wonder, "where have all the salespeople gone?"

I came to buy something and my initial impression of the store was not good. I was ignored upon entering - par for the course - and ignored the entire time I was in the store. That was fine with me based on the attitudes I see walking around. Unfortunately for me, I needed to ask someone about the one of the products I was interested in due to lack of info on the display.

I look around for a salesperson and the only one in view is standing behind one of the display counters. I stand in front of the counter and wait to see how long the salesperson will talk on her phone to one of her girlfriends. One minute goes by.

She finally acknowledges me with her eyes and she points at her phone and keeps talking. I have no idea why she points at her phone. I can see she is on it. Two minutes go by.

I look around the store to see if there is any other salesperson available. There are two at the back of the store talking to each other. As I start to move towards them, they walk into the back as one of them pulls a pack of cigarettes out of his vest pocket so I return to the counter. Three minutes go by.

I try to interrupt her by asking, "Are you going to be much longer?" She excuses herself to her caller and implies I am being rude when she tells me "Can't you see I am on the phone? I'll be with you in a minute." I am tempted to say something from a professional point of view but in I decide not to waste my time. I look around one last time to see if the smokers are back. Four minutes go by.

No wanting to waste any more time, I decide to go home and buy two new computers, some wireless networking equipment and two laser printers (one black and white/one color) over the Internet. If am going to be treated rudely, I might as well do it from the comfort of my own home. The downside for me is that I will have to wait a few days for everything to arrive frustrating my need for instant gratification.

As I walk for the door, a manager type approaches and asks me if I found everything. "Yes," I reply, "accept good service." She gets an annoyed look on her face as she responds with a lame "could I help you?" in a tone that clearly implied she didn't want to. "No thanks!" I tell her. "I'll just wait for the G.O.B." She then gets a stunned look as she recognized that by using that phrase I was probably someone in the trade.

As I walked out I thought to myself that I could do a good deed here. I could tell her what is going on her showroom floor. I could tell her how the attitude of her salesperson just cost them a pretty good-sized sale. But I think she already knows. Besides, I was off duty.

I had other reasons for not volunteering: they are not my clients, she did not ask, and one phrase I have learned the hard way in my life is that "no good deed goes unpunished."

No comments: